The Scottish Nursing Guild provide the highest quality workers to our service users and clients by ensuring that each and every nurse, midwife, HCA, ODP and paramedic meet a very specific recruitment and skills criteria, above and beyond standard expectations.
A rolling programme of voluntary update training is provided to all agency workers in areas such as Manual Handling and Adult and Paediatric Basic Life Support. In addition we provide access to voluntary study days and continuing professional development (CPD). Post registration education and practice opportunities are also available, to enable you to keep up-to-date with current best practice.
A one day course which covers both theory and practice. You are required to complete a practical course every two years and an online theory course in between.
Adult basic life support and basic first aid
A three hour course covering both theory and practice.
Paediatric basic life support and basic first aid
A three hour course covering both theory and practice.
This three hour course is suitable for both nurses and HCAs. In this course you will learn about:
- Causes of Dementia
- Types of Dementia
- Symptoms of Dementia
- Caring for someone with Dementia.
Control and restraint / safe holding training / restrictive physical intervention
This course can be accessed as a two full days of training or as a one day refresher. At the end of the course, you will be expected to:
- Understand the Law in relation to the use of physical restraint
- Evaluate the risks associated with physical restraint and consider methods to reduce the risks
- Demonstrate non-harmful methods of control and how to safely apply them
- Where required demonstrate more restrictive methods of control and when they should be used
Online training courses
If you need to increase or just refresh your current skills and knowledge and do not have time to attend a classroom study day then take a look at the on-line courses we have on offer.
We are currently able to offer voluntary on-line training through several different companies that offer a varied range of CPD courses. Below is more information on the online courses you can access.
If you are interested in any of these or want information on other courses then call the training department for information.
ICS Academy has a large range of eLearning courses, designed and produced by their skilled team and accredited by the CPD Standards Office. With over 25,000 learners accessing their courses every year, they are able to ensure all courses are relevant, engaging and time-efficient.
Whether you’re looking for a specialist Child Protection course or one of their many CPD-accredited courses such as Radicalisation Awareness, you will be able to find a suitable voluntary course with ICS Academy.
Examples of voluntary courses accessible through ICS Academy are:
- Consequences of Sleeping on Duty
- Dementia Awareness
- NHS Conflict Resolution
- Information Governance & Handling Complaints
Speak to the Guild training team for more information.
Charles Bloe Training
Charles Bloe Training Ltd provides high quality training and continuous professional development courses to health and social care professionals across the UK. They have over 25 years’ experience of meeting and adapting to the changing needs of the health and social care sectors. Their aim is to work with businesses to ensure they deliver the right training to their staff.
At the Guild, we have been working alongside Charles Bloe for a number of years to give our agency workers access to specialist, voluntary training courses that they may not be able to access elsewhere.
Charles Bloe are offering an exclusive 10% discount on all CPD for the Guild nurses. Please contact the compliance team on 0345 120 5253 for the discount code.
- Vaccination Programme (adults and paediatrics and includes BLS and anaphylaxis)
- Basic Life Support (adults and paediatrics)
- Anaphylaxis and Basic Life Support (adults and paediatrics)
- Treatment adherence
- Venous thromboembolism
- Acute Coronary Syndromes (Diagnosis & Management)
- Adult Asthma
- Arterial Blood Gas ABG Interpretation
- Atrial Fibrillation Stroke Prevention
- Cardiac Pacemakers
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Cystitis in women
- Drug Calculations - Avoiding Errors
- Emergency Contraception
- Food Hygiene
- Hay Fever
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Motion Sickness
- Skin Antisepsis
- Stable Angina
- The Chest X-Ray Demystified
- Travellers’ Diarrhoea
- Typhoid Fever
- Diphtheria, tetanus and poliomyelitis
- Yellow Fever
- Early Warning Scoring and Pulse Oximetry
- Core Cardiac Education Programme Unit 5 Cardiac Risk Reduction, Rehabilitation and Care Delivery
- Core Cardiac Education Programme Unit 2 Cardiac Conditions
- Core Cardiac Education Programme Unit 1 Underpinning knowledge
- Core Cardiac Education Programme Unit 4 Communication
- Core Cardiac Education Programme Unit 3 Cardiac Assessment
You can find out more about Charles Bloe here.
Here’s what our nurses say:
“The training was really good and covered lots of topics, the trainer was really approachable and we felt comfortable asking questions. I learnt a lot.”
“I really enjoyed the course. The trainer explains things really simply so that both nurses and HCAs understand. I was very impressed with the equipment such as the choking doll as I’ve never had a chance to use this before. The trainer is very knowledgeable and I would definitely recommend the course. I was impressed with the study booklet I received at the end of the day.”
“The course covered a few things that I didn’t previously have any knowledge of. The course is really good for HCAs who may have to deal with someone collapsing in a 1:1 situation.”
“The trainer was really good. I liked the booklet we received at the end of the course, I will use this to refresh my memory.”